
iPods are one of the most annoying, overhyped gadgets ever created. They were cool at first, back when they actually were one of the best-functioning mp3 players for the price. However, as technology has continued to evolve, the iPod has not kept up. Sure, they have introduced new models, like the iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, and the newest, the iPod Touch. However, these models have not added any features that are important enough to justify their ridiculous prices. Other players offer more storage space for a much lower price. Additionally, iPods only allow users to play certain file types, mainly ones sold by their companion music download site, iTunes. Users also must use the iTunes software in order to upload music files onto their iPod. In the name of “ease of use,” Apple has greatly limited the functionality of the iPod in the hopes that it can be mastered by everyone from the hipster college student walking around campus to the soccer mom who wants a soundtrack for her afternoon yoga session.
And it’s the “iPod mentality” that many iPod users have that is so annoying. The word “iPod” has become synonymous with “mp3 player” for many Americans, providing an unfortunate amount of free advertising for Apple. There are plenty of people out there who don’t even know that other brands of mp3 players exist, let alone do any research to see if a different player might better suit their needs. The iPod has become so overhyped that people assume that
a) their life will not be complete if they don’t have their music with them at all times;
b) having an iPod gives them license to tune out the world and be rude to those around them; and
c) their iPod is not only the best mp3 player out there, it’s the greatest piece of technology ever invented.
There’s nothing wrong with buying an iPod if you’re willing to shell out extra cash just because something is shiny and has a scrolling wheel. All I ask is that you don’t walk around smugly congratulating yourself for being an iPod owner, and please, please don’t try to brainwash me into joining the cult of the i.
5 comments:
I love that you chose the iPod. I hate the iPod, what it says about our society, and how it is destroying human interaction. I liked the point you brought up; using the term "iPod" for all MP3 players is free advertisment for Apple and implies that an iPod is the best MP3 player.
By the way, did you you know, our generation is being referred to as the "iGeneration"?
I found your entry to be witty, as well as informative. I haven't bought an mp3 player in over 5 years, and before it went on the blink, I believe it was able to hold about 2,500 songs or so, and even though it was bulky, the amount of storage was more important to me than the design of it. The ipopmyphoto.com link was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. How conceited are these people who actually buy these things?
I love my iPod. It's the old crappy mini, but I love it. The reason why I love iPods is because of the innovation. I owned 3 mp3 players before my iPod, and they were ok, but the iPod revolutionized the mp3 market. Wireless internet on an iPod! How crazy is that?! The iPod started the digital music age. Before the iPod, not too many people had mp3 players, or even mp3s. The music industry is changing because of the mp3. Artists are starting to drop their record labels and release their material on the internet, i.e. Radiohead.
I totally agree with you Jen, and i love that you used the iPod-Pea Coat-Scarf stereotype. But I kinda have to comment on what 'birthday' said.
iPods were not the first MP3 player, like you said, but they did initially combine and add a lot of features that were missing from the other MP3 players to date. However Apple did nothing to "revolutionize" MP3's or digital media as a whole. Besides maybe showering the media with commercials and marketing the hell out of their product.
I guess i really can't blame Apple, they just did what big companies always do, bet of people being stupid and getting distracted by shinny objects.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I think it is so rude when people “bump” so loud that they can’t hear you trying to get their attention. My roommate does that all the time, especially when you are at the library with someone and you want to ask them something but guess what… Ace of Base is blasting in their ears. The iPod sort of has become its own monopoly product in the mp3 player world. I do think that they are over priced but it has also become a universal technology and this is why people buy the iPod over the Zune or what not. Its unfortunate that there isn’t more competition within the mp3 industry.
Post a Comment